Alex’s Guide to Travel
- Pack light. One pair light pants, one pair shorts, 2 t-shirts, 1 long-sleeve shirt, one button-up shirt, three pair underwear, two pair socks, one towel, one shaver, one bar soap, passport, visa, atm card.
- Bring nothing of value. No laptop, no camera, no iPod.
- Enjoy washing your own clothes.
- Never worry about where to sleep.
- Purchase nothing except food and lodging. No antiques, no jewelry, no tailored clothes.
- Share everything with everyone.
- Accept anything that is offered.
- No guide books. Ever.
- Know how to say the following correctly: no problem, yes, no, thank you (very much), goodbye, bathroom, hostel, where. Optionally: want, need, have, like, buy.
- Try to talk with everyone in their native tongue.
- Eat everything you can find.
- Walk or hitch. These are your preferred modes of transportation.
- Leave only with what you brought.
- Avoid preset return dates.
- Avoid travelers.